Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw

I have always been a fan of coleslaw but I am very picky with what kind of coleslaw I like.

I hate overdressed coleslaw. You know the kind I am taking about? You go get a spoon full and as you lift it off the plate, mayo literally starts dripping or when you can’t taste anything but mayo and pepper. This is not your average store bought “creamy” overdressed coleslaw.

This Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw taste fresh and the use of cabbage is the star of the meal, which can happen when it is dressed and seasoned correctly. Even my husband loved it! Shocking, he swears to not like coleslaw, I think the cilantro and the fact this is made with sour cream not just mayo had a little persuasion.

This pairs well with my Sweet Barbecue Chicken and GF Sweet Jalapeno Cornbread.

And I guarantee when you serve this it will be the star of any meal.
Enjoy! XO San

Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Serving Size: 6-8

Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw

This savory coleslaw made with red and green cabbage, cilantro, green onions and limes, will prove that cabbage can be the star of any meal.

Ingredients

• 1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 purple cabbage chopped
  • 4 scallions
  • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 limes,
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

Cut the green cabbage using a sharp knife or I used my mandolin to make thin ribbons. Roughly chopped the purple cabbage until you have 1 cup. Chop the scallions Toss the green cabbage, purple cabbage, scallions and cilantro in a large salad bowl.

Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and the zest from one of the limes in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a squeeze of lime juice from the remaining lime. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.

Friends & Family review: I got several wows, amazing, can’t believe coleslaw can taste this good. But my favorite comment came from my sister Nicole, I took her left overs for lunch a few days later and she immediately called me and said something to the effect, “hands down best coleslaw ever, I can’t believe how good this is”. Winner all the way around with everyone.

Recipe adapted from Food Network, Tyler Florence

Comments

1. says

This looks really good and refreshing – Especially for summer! I might have to replace the cilantro, but I’d love to try this.

2. says

I just made a cilantro lime rice yesterday and this would have been a perfect pair! I just love lime on almost anything

3. Angela S says

I am also very picky when it comes to cole slaw. I am feeling quite certain that I would love this recipe.

4. Shauna says

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing. My MIL loves cilantro, so this would be great as a side on Mother’s Day. Thanks so much

5. says

This looks delicious! I don’t know if I’ve ever made my own, but if I were to attempt, I know now what I’m going to try!

6. says

I generally stay away from cole slaw because of the mayo–I am not a big fan of mayo! This recipe sounds great-I do happen to love cabbage and cutting that mayo with sour cream is a really great idea.

7. says

My son is a big Cole slaw fan- I never make it- but I’ll have to try this recipe- look like the kind he would like. Thanks!

8. says

This looks fantastic and so refreshing. I love everything with cilantro in it! Never can have too much. 😉 I’d love to try this along side our fajitas. Yum!

9. says

This Coleslaw sounds like the perfect side dish for summertime grilling! Love the fresh flavors paired together! I’d be thrilled for you to share this at my all new Creative Ways Link Party that’s live right now. I hope to see you and your slaw there! 😉 Have a wonderful rest of the week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

10. says

This looks and sounds delicious. I have a bunch of cilantro in my garden and have been making lots of homemade salsa with it – this gives me something new to try. I might half the recipe though since I am the only coleslaw eater in my family. Pinning this.

11. Robin Anderson says

Hmmmm I have 3/4 of a bag of slaw cabbage mix left from another recipe and everything else needed. Since it would just be my husband and I eating it, I think I will make 1/2. Recipe of everything and figuer out how much cabbage Inneed as I god :) looks great and will go great with out refried bean, mushroom, chicken quasidillas I’m planning on serving :)

12. Shannon says

Great looking recipe! Going to make it tonight with my shredded BBQ beef slow cooker sandwiches. I am going to sub the mayo with non fat greek plain yogurt for a healthier twist, hoping it’s just as good!

Trackbacks