Rustic Chicken Marsala Bake

One of my husband’s favorite pasta dishes is Chicken Marsala. He loves the sauce, the mushrooms, oh, and did I mention the mushrooms. For some time I have been wanting to make this into a pasta bake, one because it is simple to do, is easy on time and beautiful to serve.
When my husband, Jake came home and took a first bite, then a second bite, a third and so on, until I took the baking dish, covered it in foil and mentioned that dinner would be soon.
He loved it and said that this was now his favorite.
Jake, also named the dish, “rustic” because of the chunks of pancetta, mushrooms and the earthiness of the sauce.
I liked this element too.
What is great about this pasta bake is that you can really use any mushrooms or noodles that you have on hand.
We loved it with the portabella because of the larger pieces of mushrooms.
My favorite noodle is fettuccine but the penne worked well with the overall “rustic” theme.
Enjoy my latest pasta bake creation Rustic Chicken Marsala.
Bon Appétit!

Rustic Chicken Marsala Bake

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 6-8

Rustic Chicken Marsala Bake

Chicken Marsala pasta bake, with a rustic twist. Made with portabella mushrooms, penne pasta and marsala wine cream sauce.

• ½ lb of pasta, I would use penne or fettuccine, boiled to al dente and drained
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup marsala wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • ½ cup half-and-half
  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 chicken breast, cut in half, grilled and sliced
  • 4 ounces of pancetta
  • 12 ounces portabella mushroom, thinly sliced, you can also use crimini or porcini as a substitute
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Heat oven to 350. Spray baking dish; square 8x10 or oval dish, with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed and drain.

Heat olive oil in sauce pan, add pancetta and cook until slightly crispy on both sides. Add mushrooms and garlic, cook until mushrooms are tender. Remove from pan and set aside. Take the pancetta out of the mushrooms and roughly chop then place pack with the mushrooms.

In the same pan melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in Marsala wine and boil for 2-3 minutes to cook out the alcohol. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half, grated cheese, chicken, pancetta and mushrooms.

Add pasta to chicken mixture; toss gently to mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with freshly grated cheese. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until hot in the center and top is slightly golden. You may also broil the top, with the oven on low for 3-5 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.

Kids review: The kids who tried it, liked it. But because of the “seen” mushrooms, yes this is a vegetable I have to hide, they wouldn’t even consider trying it. Knowing this would happen in advance, I had noodles and homemade marinara ready.

1. says

This looks devine! My husband adores Chicken Marsala and I’ve never tried making it before. Shame on me. I love how you take a traditional dish and make it into a masterpiece. Yummy!

• Sandra says

Jessie – let me know if you do. If you aren’t a mushroom fan I would try it with the portabellas for sure! xo San

2. says

You talk about your first bite, then second bite, and third…..gurl, I’d be devouring this the second I saw it! Looks amazing!

3. Deb Harris says

I make traditional Chicken Marsela frequently as it’s one of my husband’s favorite dishes. I can’t wait to try this, Chicken Marsela & pasta how can you go wrong! Looks like a great dish!

4. says

Oh my gosh, I did an Italian cooking class once and really screwed up the chicken marsala! This recipe looks amazing! I’m gonna face my fears and try this recipe!

5. Shauna says

This sounds great… unfortunately I am allergic to mushrooms, but I make things like this all the time for the rest of my family. Marsala is my MIL’s favorite.

6. Amy Desrosiers says

This is one of them meals that makes me so hungry! Thanks for sharing it, I love pasta meals.

7. says

I’ve heard soo much about chicken marsala and I want to do it, but always afraid I’m going to mess it up.

I’m going to jump right in one day thought!

Thanks for sharing! Looks yum!

• Sandra says

Claudia – YAY this made my night! Thanks – will check out your site and follow you, so I can see it! xo San

8. says

This is a very mouth-watering recipe! Your photos are so delicious and I wonder how much more could it be when I see it in real life? Oooh. I hope I can visit your home and take a bite. 😀

9. says

I just pinned your fabulous recipe and I can’t wait to taste it! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday today, it is great to have you at the party. Hope you have a very special week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

10. says

This is a delicious reinvented dish Sandra.I am enjoying your classic dish redos. My family would like this as well. Thanks for sharing it with us at the Let’s Get Real Friday Link Party.

11. says

This looks so amazing! Pinned!! Chicken Marsala is one of my all time favorites! This will certainly be made in my house! Thanks for sharing at The Mommy Club Link Party!

12. says

We love chicken marsala here. This looks so much easier (& yummier!!!) than my recipe. I love that it is baked. This is already printed & I cannot wait to try it! Visiting from The Fri. Flash Blog & am so glad I did. Happy Easter!

13. judith Lindquist says

This looks great. If I make it for company, is it OK to assemble early in the day and bake later?

• Sandra says

Yes Judith this will work fine!!! I would maybe add a bit more sauce, the sauce will also be a little thicker. But I love baked dishes for this reason, make a head of time and then bake. xo San

14. Ashley says

How would this be if I left the pasta out? I want to make this for a dinner party, but I already have another pasta dish… hmmm. Thoughts??

1. […] Ingredients½ lb of pasta, I would use penne or fettuccine, boiled to al dente and drained2 tablespoon olive oil6 tablespoons butter3 tablespoons flour1 cup marsala wine1 cup chicken broth½ cup half-and-half¼ cup grated Parmesan1 chicken breast, cut in half, grilled and sliced4 ounces of pancetta12 ounces portabella mushroom, thinly sliced, you can also use crimini or porcini as a substitute1 garlic clove, chopped½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly choppedDirections  […]