Easy Avocado Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast for dinner? Why not? I was making dinner for our family and my friend’s as well. I needed something quick and easy, as tonight’s schedule was a little more than full & the hubby was out of town. I also needed a recipe that was stress-free (wait, do those exist?). Well, let me say….. this met all the “requirements”.
Recipe from Dine & Dish – http://dineanddish.net/2013/09/recipe-california-avocado-breakfast/
1 8 ounce package Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
10 slices cooked bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup shredded hash browns – thawed (I didn’t have frozen hash browns so I used some red potatoes and just put them through the food processor)
1 California Avocado, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Lightly spray with cooking spray a 9×13 glass cake pan. Press crescent rolls on bottom and up sides of pan.
- Layer bacon, hash browns, California avocado, and tomatoes on top of crescent roll dough.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Pour egg and milk mixture over the top of other ingredients in the 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle kosher salt and cracked black pepper over to taste. Serve and enjoy!
My review: I personally thought it could use a little something more. I added sea salt and fresh ground pepper, this helped. I think next time I will top with fresh salsa or add sautéed mushrooms or spinach. Overall it was nice, clean and light. Will use again.
Kid’s reviews: Well, Aiden (10 years) loved it. Thought it could use a little more bacon. As for the others, I had one crying about the avocados, another picking out the tomatoes – but once it came down to it they all ate it, every last bite and it wasn’t too much of a fight. So I would count this as a success.